Locus Performance Ingredients is seeking a R&D Scientist to join our team at our biochemical lab in Richmond, VA! The R&D Scientist will be responsible for development of synthetic methods to modify biomolecules derived from fermentation, formulation of consumer personal care and household cleaning products, and day-to-day basic biochemical laboratory experimentation.
The ideal candidate will bring existing knowledge of synthetic chemistry, analytical chemistry, and molecular biology to carry out synthetic transformations of biomolecules, mass spectrometry analysis, and microbiology plating.
Sound interesting?! Check out the role in more detail below along with the benefits package that this position is eligible for. Apply today!
- Generate high-quality reproducible data from bench-scale synthetic organic chemistry transformations.
- Troubleshoot and improvise synthetic methods based on prior results.
- Develop reproducible separation techniques to afford high purity products.
- Analyze synthetic products directly with mass spectrometry and indirectly with NMR, IR, and similar methods.
- Conduct proof-of-concept formulation and formulation application experiments including tests to determine product performance under various conditions.
- Create product demonstration scenarios to demonstrate performance, e.g. novel methods of displaying relative foam product or surface cleaning.
- Support third-party development and analytical projects.
- Maintain a laboratory inventory, including stock levels and item utilization.
- Work closely with commercial team to understand, assess and anticipate technology needs of the market and to create project proposals that meet specific customer needs.
- Set up and operate sophisticated equipment and instruments.
- Organize and analyze analytical data to prepare concise reports including comparison to historical data.
- Draft scientific thorough documentation of procedures, projects and results for intellectual property protection.
- Sc. in organic chemistry or molecular biology with a minimum of 6 years’ laboratory experience required (academic experience included) or Ph.D. in organic chemistry with a minimum 4 years’ laboratory experience required (academic experience included).
- Expertise in synthetic organic chemistry and analytical chemistry required. Experience with combinatorial chemistry and complex DO preferred.
- Knowledge of basic microbiology principles preferred.
- Demonstrated experience drafting scientific documentation such as standard operating procedures, project outlines and results preferred.
- Schedule flexibility, including occasional weekend work as needed.
- Competitive Compensation
- Company pays majority of Medical, Dental, Vision coverages for you and your family
- Short Term Disability coverage
- Life coverage
- Free Mental Health Counseling for you and your family
- 401(k) Savings Plan with Match
- 16 Paid Days Off
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Continuing Education Assistance
- Wellness Incentives
Locus Performance Ingredients is a technology development company leveraging biochemistry and fermentation to deliver biosurfactants with best-in-class performance and purity. Our specialty biosurfactants are innovated for applications in personal care, home care, C.A.S.E. and various industrial applications. For more information on our Company, visit our website at https://locuspi.com/
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.