Job Description: Position is responsible to support chemistry research and development projects through using appropriate research and laboratory equipment, including HPLC, LCMS, GC, GC/MS, FT-IR, NMR. Position will analyze results of the experiments and prepare comprehensive reports on research results. Position uses existing knowledge of analytical chemistry, collaborating closely with R&D, technology, engineering, and production team members. Position is key to realization of LPI’s scale-up production of biosurfactants and bio-actives.
Key responsibilities are as follows:
• Conducts experiments and analysis in support of research priorities using appropriate research and laboratory equipment, including HPLC, LCMS, GC, GC/MS, FT-IR, UV/vis, and NMR.
• Prepares samples and performs wet chemistry tests for qualitative and quantitative analysis of biobased materials.
• Creates methods for analysis for instrument operation and accurate characterization of samples.
• Participates as a research team member and as a lead in development of research projects.
• Maintains documentation, certifications, testing procedures, and supplies in an orderly manner that meets Locus requirements.
• Records results from tests and experiments according to laboratory procedure and reports unusual or unexpected results along with recommended improvement measures to the VP of Products and Technology.
• Works in coordination with the R&D lab personnel to schedule equipment. Schedule and coordinate third party assistance as needed.
• Calibrate and maintain laboratory equipment as needed.
• Maintains and cleans testing equipment in the laboratory.
• Support third-party development and analytical projects.
• Assists the LPI R&D, engineering and manufacturing teams in all aspects related to R&D objectives.
• Maintain a laboratory inventory, including stock levels and item utilization.
• Set up and operate sophisticated equipment and instruments.
• Organize and analyze analytical data to prepare concise reports including comparison to historical data.
• Draft scientific thorough documentation of procedures, projects and results for intellectual property protection.
• Collaborate with cross departments including engineering, R&D, facilities, maintenance, quality control, purchasing, supply chain, and executive leadership.
• Follow all protocols as directed by senior staff and/or standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Perform all other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements:
• M.Sc. in chemistry with a minimum of 5 years’ laboratory experience required (academic experience included); Ph.D. in chemistry with a minimum 4 years’ laboratory experience required (academic experience included) strongly preferred.
• LCMS, GC, HPLC, GC/MS and NMR experience required.
• Familiarity with testing in a GLP environment preferred.
• Knowledge of basic microbiology principles preferred.
• Schedule flexibility, including occasional weekend work as needed.
• Strong analytical skills to conduct scientific experiments, troubleshoot complex problems and recommend solutions.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate scientific results both written and oral.
• Ability to work effectively as a team member and independently in a self-managed environment.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail including the ability to make progress and meet deadlines of simultaneous projects.
• Ability to use Microsoft Office efficiently.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is performed in a temperature-controlled laboratory environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to move through the laboratory 50% of the time and remain in a stationary position 50% of the time. The employee is required to consistently position self as appropriate to maintain equipment in the laboratory and identify small details of scientific experiments. The employee will occasionally lift and or carry up to 50 lbs. Employee will occasionally use computer, phone, copier, and other office equipment in the course of a day.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is rarely exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. This may include warm, hot or cold temperatures. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
About Locus Performance Ingredients®
Locus Performance Ingredients® (Locus PI) is an award-winning green tech company dedicated to developing environmentally friendly biosurfactant solutions that replace legacy surfactants and eliminate regulatory challenges in CPG formulations. Using advanced fermentation technology with a near-zero carbon footprint, the team creates performance-driven, sustainable ingredients that are USDA certified as 100% biobased, GMO-free, with no palm oil, Proposition 65, EO, formaldehyde or other trace chemicals. Each ingredient is tailored for use in a multitude of personal care, household and industrial applications, with lower usage rates, better performance and a net-zero carbon footprint. Locus PI gets its core scientific capabilities from its parent company, Locus Fermentation Solutions (Locus FS), an Ohio-based, globally recognized biosurfactant company. For more information, visit LocusPI.com.